Monday, July 12, 2010

The Pros Ride Up


Yesterday was stage eight of Le Tour, and I got to watch the riders climb up to the finish in Avoriaz.

Ged parked the car near a hairpin turn early in the morning so that we’d have shelter in case it rained. 

We rode our bikes from the tent to the summit at 11 a.m. and soaked up the electric atmosphere at the top.  Incredible.  I got shouts of encouragement in at least four languages.

We walked around to see all the different decorations and eccentric stuff people were doing and wearing.  The promoters passed by in their funny-looking vehicles and were throwing free stuff into the crowd like crazy.  Let’s just say that Ged and I cleaned up.

And at around 5 p.m., we readied ourselves for the pros. 

A flock of helicopters buzzed overhead, police cars whizzed by, their sirens on full blast.

Then the silence came.  A scary silence.  It was the calm before the storm.

And suddenly, the screams came, along with the leaders of the stage.

I took a ton of pictures, so I’ll let them do the talking.

















There were LOTS of characters walking and riding around.  Just goes to show what people will do when they're stuck on a side of a mountain waiting around for several hours...





































I had a hard time trying to find a spot to put my extra lens...
















And here they come!






















I caught that water bottle, by the way...

















And now I'm in Spain.  Ged and I are headed to watch the Running of the Bulls.

Adios.

~Amanda

2 comments:

  1. Amanda can I please please please please please please please use those pictures on my blog please!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Extra lens?!--is that the school's 200 jammed in your pants?! Puh-leeze.....

    ReplyDelete