Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Hi, Barcelona.

Greetings from Barcelona.  Yesterday was my first day of exploration of the city.

I did touristy things like visiting a park and walking down famous streets.

I'm staying at a hostel run by hippies.  It's pretty cool--reggae music is always playing, decorations on the wall are psychedelic and colorful.

















Off to the metro I went!
















Straight to Guell Park.
















I remember studying Gaudi in Art History class when I was 16.  The book's description of Gaudi included words like "undulating" and "organic."

While I did get a sense of these things when I looked at the architecture, I also felt so much more.

I felt like I was in a real-life version of Candy Land, a game I played for hours as a child.  And some of the buildings looked like the gingerbread houses I used to paste together during the holidays as a kid.  Thank you, Gaudi, for taking me back to a time of simplicity and sweetness.

















As I was walking down a shady path, I saw a cute inscription on a tree.
















I decided to add my own...
















I came across a playground shortly after, and you better believe I jumped on a swing while in my childlike mindset.  This was the best pic I could get without dropping my camera.

















Lots of dreads in Barcelona.
















Then came the famous shopping and people-watching street, La Rambla.

















What better way to end the day than watching Le Tour...
















Off to the beach for me.

~Amanda

0 comments:

Post a Comment