Saturday, September 11, 2010

In The News

Today is September 11, 2010, nine years since the attacks on the World Trade Center.

And as some of you may already know, I'm a Gainesville resident.  You know, the city where the crazy religious bigot threatened to burn the Koran today to commemorate the anniversary of 9/11 and slander the Muslim faith...

Needless to say, I'm a little embarrassed to call myself a Gainesville citizen because of all this nonsense.

Yesterday morning, however, Ged and I felt obligated to see what all the commotion was about and to see just how much the media was hyping it up.

The church is about 8.5 miles from my apartment, so we hopped on our bikes.






































We weren't sure what to expect and we were both a bit apprehensive and confused about the whole thing...





































As we approached the church on our bikes, the first two thoughts in my head were:

  1. Damn, that's a lot of news vans.
  2. The church building looks like a large barn.


























Honestly, the whole thing felt like a circus.  There were photographers whizzing around everywhere and newspeople just sitting and waiting for the freak show to start.  Lame.  Can't these news stations devote their time to real stories instead of some crazed Gainesville pastor?










A lot of news stations were actually getting angry with me because I was "blocking their shot."  I was told to get out of the way...

I really hope the media can get past this story and move on to more important things like genocide in Africa or the failing ecosystem in the Gulf of Mexico...

Off to St.Augustine for the weekend.  Have a good one!

~Amanda


0 comments:

Post a Comment