Thursday, June 24, 2010

What a Beautiful Day

Ged had the day off from work because of a random Italian holiday, which meant a bike ride was in order.

We rode east to Pontassieve and went a back way up to Fiesole.

The climb for this ride was very different from the steep curves of Fiesole.  The ascent was super gradual--more of a test of mental stamina than physical capability.  I'm proud to say that I didn't stop at all during the 5 km (3 mi) climb.  Even though the ride up was not as sharp and steep as my usual ride to Fiesole, I found it amazing that the two completely different rides could be equally as hard.

By the time I reached the top, I was exhausted.  Ged still wanted to continue on toward the monastery, the place that's infamous for a hellish final climb.  Not today, I told him.


Besides being a kind, thought-provoking and honest boyfriend, Ged is also a great photographer!

Here's some shots he took of me riding up to the top of the hill.



















Where we were headed:


















Pointing toward the monastery I really didn't want to ride to:


















Ged and I stopped at the Commonwealth Cemetery near Florence.  

















Best friends.  :)



















The entire ride was 54km (34mi).

Post ride nutrition included whole grain fusilli pasta mixed with freshly sauteed veggies.
















I threw in some garlic, spinach, tomatoes, onions and red pepper.
















The Italy/Slovakia game is on TV right now and it's pretty intense.  I'm rooting for Slovakia...the Italian players aren't exactly winning me over with all their bitching.

~Amanda

0 comments:

Post a Comment