Thursday, April 28, 2011

First climb of Eurotrip 2011

Hello from beautiful, yet slightly overcast Florence.

I arrived yesterday after a nine hour plane ride and a two hour train ride.  Went a little something like this:

Gainesville-->Atlanta-->Milan-->wait for Italian train...-->Florence

I really wanted to see how I would fare on the bike now that I'll be riding up hills/mountains, so I decided "What better way to fight jet lag than to go for a bike ride!"

Friends, I still suck at climbing.  Even though I've been riding road bikes since September 2009, I ride at a turtle's pace up hills.

I managed to snap a picture during the climb as I was trying to keep my heart from exploding and my lungs from collapsing.  [no exaggeration here]






































Shortly after this picture was taken I got passed by a mountain bike.  In my defense, I did pass him later on (on a downhill section).

Of course, the view at the top made the fire in my chest worth it.  A bit hazy, but still spectacular.




























I'm declaring today an official rest day.  In the past 48 hours I have donated .5L of blood, traveled across the Atlantic, rode up to Fiesole and stayed awake until 11 p.m. that night.

Peace and Love,
amanda

0 comments:

Post a Comment